Lessons 2: Threat Level
A good thing about getting tips from the public is that one tip could be accurate and very useful. Having a better idea about where a potential threat is located can help narrow down the search, which can potentially save lives. Port ImPort has the intelligence that suggests the area somewhere will place a bomb. Using this information, can you secure the area to save lives?
Doing the science
- Start the Zero Sum Security Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Read about the threat level provided on the screen.
- Click on "Switch" to go to Port: ImPort.
- Click on "Run" to view the default setup’s security and annoyance levels. Click on "Personal Craft", "Cargo Ships", "Cruise Ships", and "Overall" to view the security and annoyance level for each category. Record these levels into Table 1 below.
- Count the number of security guards in each area and record these values in Table 1.
- Arrange the security guards to provide better coverage for the threat. Count and record the number of security guards in each area.
- Record the security and annoyance level for this arrangement.
- Repeat steps 6-7 for another strategy to distribute the security guards.
- If you need to read about the threat again, click on the "Current Threat:" button on the left.