Lessons 3: Wind Season
An old saying states that "March comes in like a lion," implying that the weather in the month of March is very dramatic. Are some months more favorable for converting wind power to electricity?
Doing the science
- Start the Wind Power Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Select the "Make Turbine" button.
- Set the "Number of Wind Turbines on Farm" to 1.
- Select Turbine 1 and choose a Tower Height of 100 m and Blade Radius of 40 m.
- Click on the "Submit" button.
- Choose "January" from the Calendar menu.
- Select the "Start" button.
- After the completion of the run, note and record the "Average Wind Speed" (Avg. mph) in Table 1.
- Next, click on the "Energy Generated" button at the bottom of the screen.
- View the graph and estimate the average energy generated for each of the three wind turbines. Record these values in Table 1 below.
- Repeat steps 6 – 10 for the rest of the months of the year.