Lessons 2: What is the Relationship Between Turbine Height and Energy Generated?
Wind speeds at ground level can be very different from speeds just a few hundred meters above the surface. How do you think the energy generated by a wind turbine is related to the height of the turbine?
Doing the science
- Start the Wind Power Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Select the "Make Turbine" button.
- Set the "Number of Wind Turbines on Farm" to 3.
- Select Turbine 1 and choose a Tower Height of 100 m and Blade Radius of 40 m.
- Select Turbine 2 and choose a Tower Height of 110 m and Blade Radius of 40 m.
- Select Turbine 3 and choose a Tower Height of 120 m and Blade Radius of 40 m.
- Click on the "Submit" button.
- Choose "December" from the Calendar menu.
- Select the "Start" button.
- After the completion of the run, click on the "Energy Generated" button at the bottom of the screen.
- View the graph and estimate the average energy generated for each of the three wind turbines. Record these values in Table 1 below.