Lessons 1: What is the Relationship Between Season and Water Temperature?
Many locations experience four distinct seasons: spring, summer, fall, and winter. Air temperature changes during the various seasons can cause bodies of water to also change temperature. Do differences in water temperature occur in a regular pattern, or are the changes less ordered?
Doing the science
- Start the Water Quality Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on the "Zoom" icon.
- Click on the "Oliphant" location.
- Next, click on the "Temperature" icon.
- Move the cursor to a position on Bailey’s Brook in Oliphant and click on the water.
- Note and record in Table 1 below the month and water temperature displayed in the popup box.
- Click the forward arrow next to the month "September" at the top, middle of the screen.
- Click on the "x" (close icon) at the top right-hand corner of the "Temperature" pop-up box in the middle of the screen.
- Repeat steps 5 – 8 until you have collected temperature data until the month of June.