Lessons 1: It’s All Random
Many natural disasters are often unpredictable, and you never know when and where one will strike. Similar to winning a slot machine, predicting a natural disaster is a rare occasion. It’s time to put your guessing skills to the test. Are you feeling lucky?
Doing the science
- Start the Trouble Incorporated Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Read the instructions provided.
- Click on the "Click Here" button under the "Event" category.
- Choose a natural disaster (bridge collapse, earthquake, flood, hurricane, or tornado) to predict the disaster by clicking on the yellow icon.
- Click on the "Click Here" button under the "Where" category.
- Choose a city (Orlando, New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, or Chicago) to predict the location of the disaster by clicking on the yellow icon.
- Click on the "Click Here" button under the "Severity" category.
- Choose the severity level (catastrophic, moderate, or severe) by clicking on the icon.
- Click on the golden "Spin" button to start the machine.
- In Table 1 below, record the predictions in each category that you got correct with a "c", incorrect with an "x."
- Repeat steps 3 – 10 nine more times.