Lessons 1: House Size
Families with multiple children may need a larger house than a smaller family. But how does house size affect energy efficiency?
Doing the science
- Start the Sunny Shelter Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Make the following selections:
- House Size: Small
- Sheltering: Not Earth Sheltered
- Window Direction: North Facing
- Window Size: Small
- Window Tint: Absent
- Thermal Mass: Low
- Material R-value: 10
- Season: Summer
- Click on the Design House Now button.
- The Energy Usage Thermometer is to the right of the image. Record the value in Table 1 below.
- Click the Design Menu button to return to the main screen.
- Repeat steps 2-5 only changing House Size to Medium and Large until your table is completed.
- Repeat steps 2-6 only changing Season to Winter.