Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 1: Roof Direction
The amount of sunlight in a day will be the same no matter which direction your house faces, but does the cardinal direction (North, East, South, West) of the solar panels installed on the roof of your house affect the amount of sunlight that will hit them?
Doing the Science
- Start the Sun Banking Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Make the following selections:
- Season: Summer
- Type of Panel: K1OTGM
- Roof Direction: North
- Annual kWh needs: 10,000
- Click on the ADD PANELS button.
- The K1OTGM panel you have selected is available to drag and drop. Drag 5 panels onto the roof.
- Click on the BEGIN button, and wait for the simulation to complete.
- Record the amount of kWh produced on a daily average in Table 1 below.
- Click on the RESTART button.
- Repeat steps 2-6 only changing roof directions to South, and then West, and then East until your table is completed.