Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathmatics Simulations
Lessons 6: How Does Storm Size Affect Storm Surge Damage?
Hurricanes can vary widely in size. The average hurricane has a diameter of about 300 miles. How does the size of a storm impact the damage done on property and people due to a storm surge?
Doing the science
- Start the Storm Surge Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Select "Storm Factors."
- Select "Storm Size."
- Choose one of the three different storm sizes.
- Make sure to keep all other factors constant, that is, do not change storm intensity, forward speed, or location.
- Click on the "Run" icon.
- Record the Cost and Damage values displayed in the Damage Assessment portion of the screen in Table 1 below.
- Again, click on "Storm Size." Select a different size from step 4. Repeat steps 6 – 7.
- Repeat step 8 for the remaining size.