Lessons 1: How Does Shelf Width Affect Storm Surge Damage?
Shelf width is defined as the part of the continental plate that extends into the ocean and is submerged to a relatively shallow depth. The shelf varies in width from a few meters to over 1,500 kilometers wide. How does the width of an ocean shelf impact the damage done on property and people due to a storm surge?
Doing the science
- Start the Storm Surge Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Select "Basic Factors."
- Select "Shelf Width."
- Choose one of the three different shelf widths.
- Make sure to keep all other factors constant, that is, do not change water depth, tides, or location.
- Click on the "Run" icon.
- Record the Cost and Damage values displayed in the Damage Assessment portion of the screen in Table 1 below.
- Again, click on "Shelf Width." Select a different shelf width from step 3. Repeat steps 5 – 7.
- Repeat step 8 for the remaining shelf width.