Lessons 4: Concrete Elite
Concrete is used in the construction of buildings and roads. It is a mixture of an aggregate, cement, and water. Cement is a powder, which is mixed with an aggregate like gravel, rock, or sand. With the addition of water, concrete is formed and dried to become a hard and strong material. Concrete is heavy, but how will it be affected by the current and the water? Investigate the bridge scour and find out.
Doing the science
- Start the Scouring Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on the "Current" button. Clicking the left and right arrows will change the current speed. Click the "OK" button to select Speed 1.
- Click on the "Build" button then click on the right arrow three times. Click the "OK" button for Concrete.
- Click on "Inspect" to view the concrete level around the bridge. Click on the "X" button to close the inspection menu.
- Click on "Run" to start the current.
- Click on "Inspect" to view the concrete level around the bridge.
- Draw the top view and the side view of the bridge base into Table 1 below. Click on the "X" button to exit the inspection menu.
- Click on the "Reset" button.
- Repeat steps 2-7 for the remaining five current speeds.