Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 6: How Does Quarantining Students Affect the Spread of Influenza Through a School?
Influenza is a contagious disease, which means that the illness is easily spread from one student to another. Can keeping sick students in a specific area of a school reduce the number of infections due to influenza?
Doing the science
- Start the Flu Transmission Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on the "Quarantine" button under the Factor menu on the left-bottom of the screen.
- Click on the "Run" button at the bottom center of the screen.
- Note the Progress bar, which shows time running for a six-week period.
- Click on the "1" icon on the Progress bar.
- Count and record in Table 1 the number of infected students at the end of the first week of the flu outbreak.
- Click on the "2" icon on the Progress bar.
- Count and record in Table 1 the number of infected students at the end of the second week of the flu outbreak.
- Repeat this process until you have counted and recorded data for all six weeks.