Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 1: Miles per Gallon
The price of gasoline is one of the main factors that determine the operating costs of a vehicle. For a company with a large fleet of vehicles, a small rise in the price of fuel can translate into much higher operating costs for the company and much lower profits. Can you determine a vehicle’s fuel mileage? Fuel up and start your engine.
Doing the Science
- Start the Fleet Manager Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on one of the vehicles in the fleet.
- Click the "Use" button, then the "Drive" button. When the vehicle completes the route, click the "Status" button.
- Record the Vehicle name, Total Distance Driven, and Fuel Used in Table 1.
- Calculate and record in Table 1 the Miles per Gallon rating of the vehicle.
- Close the box by clicking the "X" in the upper right-hand corner, and then click the "Fleet" button.
- Select a different vehicle and repeat steps 3-6. Test a total of five different vehicles.