Lessons 2: Face Matching Using Statistics
A secret agent uses a disguise to try to enter a country illegally. He applies a fake moustache and dyes his hair dark brown to fool the guards charged with keeping him from passing through the entrance security system. Is there a way to identify the agent even with his disguise in place?
Doing the science
- Start the Face Recognition Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on the "Measure" button below the face in Box 1 on the left of the screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the black boxed area in the middle of the screen. Make sure to make all of the measurements.
- For instance, to make the first measurement of the "Center of one pupil to the other pupil," click in the center of the left eye of the face in Box 1 and drag the curser to the center of the face’s right eye. Release the curser. Record your measurements in Table 1.
- Make sure to make follow all instructions and make all of the measurements.
- Follow the on-screen instruction when you complete the measurements for the left face.
- Move to the face to the right in Box 2 to make your next set of measurements. Make sure to record these measurements in Table 1.
- After you have completed all measurement, click the "Correlation" button at the bottom center of the screen.
- Record the given Facial Recognition Correlation value in Table 1.
- Click the "Change Image" button in the Box 2 area.
- Repeat steps 7 - 10 with the new face shown in Box 2.