Lessons 2: Testing the Best Shape
In addition to the material that a shield is made of, the shape of a shield is very important. Even if a bomb disposal expert has a shield made of a strong material, if the shield is in a shape that is not very effective, the bomb disposal expert could suffer serious injuries if a bomb detonates. Which shield shape is most effective? Test it and find out for yourself!
Doing the science
- Start the Explosion Shield Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on the "Design" button.
- In the "Material Type" section, click on the right arrow once so that "Carbon Fiber" appears.
- In the "Shape" section, click on the right arrow once so that the rectangular shape appears.
- Click on the "Test" button.
- In the testing room, there is a dummy standing behind the shield you designed. Click on the red trigger that the dummy is holding to set off the bomb.
- Click on the "Analysis" button.
- Hover over each yellow and black icon to read the "Damage Stats". Record the damages into Table 1 below.
- Repeat steps 2-8 with the different shield shapes given in Table 1.