Lessons 1: Testing the Best Material
When bomb disposal experts attempt to disarm a bomb, they need to be equipped with strong, durable shields to help protect them in case the bomb detonates. It’s important that the shields are made of as strong a material as possible. A direct comparison between materials will be the best way to evaluate the different shields, so put on protective gear and test out the materials!
Doing the science
- Start the Explosion Shield Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on the "Design" button.
- In the "Material Type" section, click on the right arrow until "Carbon Fiber" appears.
- In the "Shape" section, click on the right arrow three times until the moderate bevel rectangular shape appears.
- Click on the "Test" button.
- In the testing room, there is a dummy standing behind the shield you designed. Click on the red trigger that the dummy is holding to set off the bomb.
- Click on the "Analysis" button.
- Hover over each yellow and black icon to read the "Damage Stats". Record the damages into Table 1 below.
- Repeat steps 2-8 with the different material types given in Table 1.