Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 1: Making Electricity
In today’s modern world, electrical energy is required to make most people’s lives better. Electric power companies use a number of fuels to convert liquid water to steam in order to spin a turbine to generate electricity. Your challenge is to determine which fuel is best for generating electricity. Get ready to burn through this lesson.
Doing the Science
- Start the Electric Power Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on one of the fuel sources at the bottom of the screen (see Table 1).
- Click the blue "Run" button located at the right-hand bottom of the screen.
- The simulation will count down 24 hours. When the clock reaches 0:00, note and record the average amount of power supplied (in kW) in Table 1 for that particular fuel type.
- Click the blue "Reset" button located at the right-hand bottom of the screen.
- Repeat steps 2-5 above, until you test all fuel types. Make sure to record your data in Table 1.