Back to Methods
Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 2: Temperature Gradient
What is the optimal choice of warm and cold water intake depths to gain the maximum amount of fresh desalinated water?
Doing the Science
- Start the Desalination Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Select Surface for Warm Water Intake Depth and Surface for Cold Water Intake Depth, and then click Continue.
- Connect all of the pipes and pumps properly. You discovered the right answers by trial-and-error experimentation in Lesson 1.
- Push start and record the liters/hr measurement in the Surface/Surface table cell.
- Do not exit from the program. Click "Reset Depths."
- You will be returned to the main screen. Choose a new combination of intake depths to test, and then click Continue
- Repeat steps 4-6 until you have filled out the whole table.