Lessons 1: Nature Protection
A person that manages a building needs to consider both aesthetics and security. The aesthetics will draw in new customers while the security will provide the safety for the consumers to continue to return. Nature provides beauty to a building’s surroundings, but does it provide the security that a building needs? Plant some seeds and find out!
Doing the science
- Start the Building Security Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on "Nature" on the left, underneath "Building Security".
- Read about the security, appeal, and cost ratings for the flower bed.
- Use the drop down menu to select the other nature choices (fountain and large tree) and learn about their security, appeal, and cost ratings.
- Using the information provided, decide what nature material you want to use and click on the name from the drop down menu to select the item.
- Click around the building (in the grass or on the concrete) to place the item down on the ground.
- Choose different security materials from the drop down menu and place as many you like on the ground.
- Clicking on "Info" followed by an item will display the security, appeal and cost rating.
- Clicking on "Delete" followed by an item will delete the item from the scene.
- Once satisfied with the nature placement, count the number of each flower bed, fountain, and large tree and record into Table 1 below in the Trial 1 heading.
- Click on the "Start" button to have the Report Window rate your security, cost, and intrusiveness.
- Record the number of stars for the security, cost, and intrusiveness into the table.
- Click on "Restart" to clear the materials, or add more materials to the ground.
- Repeat steps 2-13 four more times in an attempt to increase security, decrease cost, and decrease intrusiveness.