Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 1: Controlling the Rocket/Asteroid Rendezvous
Without knowing the speed of the asteroid and without a steady speed from the rocket, we must experiment to find the perfect balance of thrust and timing to land on an asteroid.
Doing the Science
- Start the Bot Miner Simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Select the Controller option on the main screen.
- Experiment by clicking the Thrust button multiple times in order to try to land on an asteroid.
- Each time that you land on an asteroid, record the Bot Miner Rocket Speed and the number of hours into the appropriate table cells in Table 1.
- Once you land on an asteroid, click OK and then immediately on the next screen, click New Asteroid and then return to Controller.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until your table is completely filled out.