Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 1: Copper Reactions
Copper is a metal that is used in many materials, including pennies and wires. Copper is also a reactive metal that can change colors when oxidized. What solutions can oxidize copper?
Doing the Science
- Start the "Bacteria Miner" simulation by clicking on the "Sim" tab.
- Click on the "Metal Test" button.
- Click and drag a small copper nugget above the 0.5 m ferric oxide (Fe2O3) beaker.
- Click and drag a large copper nugget above the water (H2O) beaker.
- Click on the "Run" button.
- Record the color of the solution and the copper nugget in Table 1 below.
- Repeat steps 5–6 for each of the 7 days.
- Click on the "Reset" button.
- Repeat steps 3–4 except with a large copper nugget above the 0.5 m ferric oxide beaker (Fe2O3) and a small copper nugget above the water beaker (H2O).
- Repeat steps 5–7 and record in Table 2 below.