Science Simulations, Technology Simulations, Engineering Simulations, Mathematics Simulations
Lesson 4: How Does the Use of Antibiotics Affect the Spread of Influenza Through a School?
Antibiotics have been shown to be highly effective in reducing the severity and spread of infections caused by bacteria. Can the application of antibiotics to students reduce the number of infections due to influenza?
Doing the Science
- Start the Flu Transmission Simulation.
- Select the "Antibiotics" button under the Factor menu on the left-bottom of the screen.
- Select the "Run" button at the bottom center of the screen.
- Note the Progress bar, which shows time running for a six-week period.
- Select the "1" icon on the Progress bar.
- Count and record in Table 1 the number of infected students at the end of the first week of the flu outbreak.
- Select the "2" icon on the Progress bar.
- Count and record in Table 1 the number of infected students at the end of the second week of the flu outbreak.
- Repeat this process until you have counted and recorded data for all six weeks.